Please enter banners and links.
Stress and anxiety can wreak havoc on your mental and physical health. When possible, try to incorporate stress reducing techniques into your daily life for long-term benefits but whenever you need to relieve stress immediately, try a couple of these ideas. Below is a list of instant stress-relieving techniques you can try the next time you feel stressed out to the max.
1. Breathe deeply, slowly, and rhythmically . Breathe in deeply through your nose using your diaphragm. Fill up your lungs. Wait for a few seconds. Then breathe out slowly through your mouth. As you breathe out imagine that you are purging yourself of stress. Repeat this a few times. When you are done you should feel more focused and relaxed.
2. Go for a walk, preferably outside . Move from the confines of your office or home to the vastness of the outdoors and feel an instant calm. Then take a quick walk, around the block or down the street, and allow your body to exercise away tension. As you breathe in the fresh air, take on a fresh outlook of your situation and it may not seem so stressful anymore.
3. Be slow to respond to others . Do not lash out or react prematurely. Take your time and respond when you have had time to compose yourself. Otherwise, your quick, harsh response could make a stressful situation even worse.
4. Perform a random act of kindness . You can hold the door for someone, let a car merge in front of you in traffic, or complete one of your husband’;s chores. It can be a small act or a large act. The important thing is that it is random and it helps someone else. Performing a random act of kindness will make you feel better because you will know that you made someone else feel better.
5. Count. You can count forward or backward, beginning and ending at any number. The point is that as you count, you will focus your thoughts away from whatever is stressful to the numbers. After a few minutes of counting you can focus your thoughts back to the situation at hand with a clean mental slate.
6. Take a mental vacation. Lie down and close your eyes. Imagine a place and time that makes you happy. Maybe you have been there in real life, and maybe you have not. Imagine the sights, sounds, and smells you would experience if you were really there. Concentrate on these sensory experiences until you really feel like you are there in your mind. Stay there as long as you want. When you are done, open your eyes and you will feel as refreshed as if you had taken a mini-vacation.
Try one of the techniques mentioned above the next time you need an instant stress-reliever. And then try a different one next time. You will quickly figure out which ones work best for you, and you’;ll likely discover that you are incorporating them into your daily life quite often.